History of Salisbury
Litchfield County, Connecticut
The Ezra Selleck Family
Salisbury, Litchfield County, CT
Contributed By: Susan Godlewski
I am searching for data on Deborah Selleck, mother of John Lockwood. The secondary sources that list Nathan or Nathaniel Selleck as her father** can not be verified. His brother Ezra had a daughter, Deborah of the right age to be mother of John Lockwood, but no further data has been found about her after Ezra and his family move from Darien, where Deborah's brothers Ezra and James were born and baptized at the Darien Congregational Church. Deborah, her brother Levi, and her sister were born in Salibury, Litchfield, but brought back to St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT for their baptisms.
[A couple of my Lockwood & Lounsbury ancestors had been forced to contribute to the Congregational Church and petitioned to be released and allowed to form an Episcopal Church.]
** The parents of Deborah, listed in
the Robert Lockwood genealogy book [The Descendants of Robert Lockwood,
by F. Holden and E. Dunbar Lockwood, PA 1889. I know!
The data in this book was not verified and contains lots of errors!]
as Nathan & Sarah Selleck, who were founding members of the Darien Congregational Church.
Research showed Nathaniel (1725-1777) & Sarah Selleck (1723-aft 1803), who were the first couple married at the Darien Congregational Church, had all their children baptized at the Congregational Church. I have found no record of baptism of a daughter named Deborah. Nathaniel and Sarah would have been in their 40's during the time Deborah would have been born. We have not found a marriage or death record for Deborah Sellick/Selleck Lockwood. Nathaniel Selleck's younger brother Ezra Selleck and his second wife, Mary Whiting, had a daughter, Deborah (b 12/13/1765), of whom no information, other than her birth and baptism, has been found. It is possible this niece of Nathaniel is the mother of John Lockwood and ancestress of Charlotte. Deborah Sellick Lockwood's ancestry remains a brick wall.
The different sources listed above identified
John Lockwood's father as either Henry Lockwood or Sylvenius/Sylvenus
Lockwood. Page 429 of the book Southern New York claims "Sylvenius,
son of Jeremiah and Abigail (Smith) Lockwood was born January 30,
1763 and baptized at Stamford, CT November 17, 1765. He married Deborah,
daughter of Nathan and Sarah Sellick, of Darien, CT, who were members
of the Congretional Church at that place when it was organized." This book
furthers identifies the same children as mentioned in both the Couch files
and the Robert Lockwood genealogy book. The unverified date of Sylvenius
birth would make him about 10 years old at the time of his son John's birth.
Clearly there is an error in labeling dates.
Here is the data I have collected on the Selleck Family of Salisbury, Litchfield, CT:
Descendants of Ezra Selleck
Generation No. 1
1. EZRA5 SELLECK (DAVID 4, NATHANIEL #23, JOHN2, DAVID1) was born 2/17/1731-32 in Stamford, Fairfield, CT, and died 5/10/1809 in Stamford, Fairfield, CT. He married (1) ELIZABETH BATES 2/06/1755 in Darien Congregational Church (DCC) Rev. Moses Mather, daughter of JOHN BATES and MARY WEBB. He married (2) MARY WHITING ca 1758 in at Stamford, CT1, daughter of JOSEPH WHITING and HANNAH SCOFIELD.
Notes for EZRA SELLECK: Litchfield Connecticut 1790 census:
Sellick, Ezra --------- 3, 1, 6, 0, 0, Page 66
Ezra's sons ezra & James were baptised at the Darien Congregational Church (DCC) on May 9, 1762.
His children Deborah and Levi were baptized at St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT on 10/07/1768, parents Ezra & Mary Selleck were listed as "of Salisbury".
His daughter Mercy was baptised at St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT on 10/13/1772
His younger children were baptised in Litchfield.
More About EZRA SELLECK:
Religion: 1/29/1758, New member of Congregational Church at Darien, CT2
Residence: moved to Salisbury prior to 10/07/1768.
More About ELIZABETH BATES:
Date born 2: ca 1725, Stamford-Darien CT, child of John & Mary (Webb) Bates
Fact : marriage listed in EARLY CONN. MARRIAGES by Bailey
Children of EZRA SELLECK and ELIZABETH BATES are:
2. i. ELIZABETH6 SELLECK, b. 1758.
ii. RHODA SELLECK, b. ca 1758; m. ISAAC BIRD, 2/28/1782, Salisbury, CT.
Children of EZRA SELLECK and MARY WHITING are:
3. iii. EZRA6 SELLECK, b. 8/10/1760.
iv. JAMES SELLECK, b. 2/19/1761, Stamford, CT; m. LOIS LANDON, 1/17/1783, Stamford, CT.
More About JAMES SELLECK: Baptism: 5/09/1762, Darien Congregational Church (DCC)
Notes for LOIS LANDON: Father: Asa LANDON Mother: Jerusha GRIFFACE
4. v. HANNAH SELLECK, b. 10/22/1763, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT.
vi. DEBORAH SELLECK3, b. 12/13/1765, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield Co., CT.
Notes for DEBORAH SELLECK:
P. 222 of Stephen Mead's Abstract of tecords of St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT lists these baptisms: October 9 1768 Selleck, Deborah and Levy, children of Ezra and Mary Selleck of Salisbury,
More About DEBORAH SELLECK:
Baptism: 10/09/1768, St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT 4
5. vii. LEVI SELLECK, b. 1/03/1768, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT.
viii. SALOME SELLECK, b. 11/15/1770, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT.
More About SALOME SELLECK: Baptism: 4/21/1771, St. John Episcopal Churxh, Stamford, CT
ix. MERCY SELLECK, b. 6/10/1772.
More About MERCY SELLECK: Baptism: 10/13/1772, St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT5
x. NOAH SELLECK, b. 8/15/1774, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT; m. (1) BETSEY REYNOLDS, 3/18/1799, Salisbury, Litchfield County, CT6; m. (2) ELECTA SPARKS, 10/31/1813, By Enos Hopkind, J.O.P. in Salibury, CT7.
Notes for NOAH SELLECK: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctlitch2/1790census/litch67.htm
Litchfield Connecticut 1790 census: Sellick, Noah --------- 1, 2, 3, 0, 0, Page 67
xi. PHOEBE W. SELLECK8, b. 9/21/1777, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield Co., CT; d. 6/11/1831, Licking Co. Ohio; m. CALVIN W. ACKLEY, 12/24/1795, Salisbury Twp, Litchfield Co., CT.
Notes for PHOEBE W. SELLECK:
For her spouse and children, see http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/f/i/l/Doris-L-Filer-Schoolcraft/GENE2-0003.html#CHILD11863297
Hist. of Van Buren Co., Salisbury, CT. Vital Records
Notes for CALVIN W. ACKLEY: For children of this marriage, see
More About CALVIN W. ACKLEY:
Residence: in Mary Ann Township, Licking , OH
xii. ABIGAIL SELLECK, b. 11/14/1786, New Marlborough.
Generation No. 2
2. ELIZABETH6 SELLECK (EZRA5, DAVID 4, NATHANIEL #23, JOHN2, DAVID1) was born 1758. She married (1) EDWARD SELLECK 3/29/1772 in Congregational Church, Stamford-Darien, Fairfield Co., CT, son of NATHAN SELLECK and KATHERINE CLOCK. She married (2) JEREMY DAUCHY 10/03/1780 in Salisbury, CT.
More About ELIZABETH SELLECK: "perhaps dau of John and Abigail(Seymour) Selleck"BSG
Children of ELIZABETH SELLECK and EDWARD SELLECK are:
i. NANCY7 SELLECK, b. 10/12/1778; m. ISAAC HOYT, JR., 10/23/1799.
ii. KILBOURNE SELLECK, b. 3/24/1781; d. 7/07/1845, Darien, CT; m. MARY SEELY, Bef. 5/15/1815.
Notes for KILBOURNE SELLECK:
3/17/1813 Liber R, page 14
Kilbourne Selleck, Isaac Hoyt, Jr., and Nancy his wife, and Catherine Selleck for $4500 for lease to Edward ---- natural life of all lands with the buildings thereon that the said Edward has this day deeded
More About KILBOURNE SELLECK: Burial: Darien Congregational Church (DCC)
iii. PHEBE SELLECK, b. 3/04/1776; m. JOHN REED, JR..
iv. CATHERINE SELLECK, b. 9/23/1783, Stamford, Fairfield, CT; d. 4/13/1874, Salisbury, CT; m. (1) KILBOURNE SELLECK; m. (2) KILBOURN SELLECK, 10/19/1816, First Congregational Church, Darien, CT by Rev. William Fisher.
More About CATHERINE SELLECK: Date born 2: 9/23/1783; Died 2: 1813, o.s.p. = obit sine prole = died without issue
3. EZRA6 SELLECK (EZRA5, DAVID 4, NATHANIEL #23, JOHN2, DAVID1) was born 8/10/1760. He married ABIGAIL BROCON OR BROWN 11/14/1786 in New Marlborough, Salisbury, CT9.
More About EZRA SELLECK: Baptism: 5/09/1762, Darien Congregational Church (DCC)
Children of EZRA SELLECK and ABIGAIL BROWN are:
i. BETSY7 SELLECK, b. 12/30/1787.
ii. POLLY SELLECK, b. 12/02/1798.
iii. MILTON SELLECK, b. 8/28/1790.
iv. HANNAH SELLECK, b. 9/11/1793.
4. HANNAH6 SELLECK (EZRA5, DAVID 4, NATHANIEL #23, JOHN2, DAVID1) was born 10/22/1763 in Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT. She married JARED EVEREST, JR. 11/22/1786 in Salisbury, CT.
Children of HANNAH SELLECK and JARED EVEREST are:
i. DAVID7 EVEREST, b. 12/27/1791, Salisbury, CT.
ii. JARED EVEREST, b. 12/07/1795.
iii. OLIVIA EVEREST, b. 7/08/1788.
iv. POLLY EVEREST, b. 11/10/1793.
v. SALLY EVEREST, b. 2/10/1798.
5. LEVI6 SELLECK (EZRA5, DAVID 4, NATHANIEL #23, JOHN2, DAVID1) was born 1/03/1768 in Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT. He married OLIVE GREEN.
Notes for LEVI SELLECK:
AKA "Levy" Selleck on Baptismal records
More About LEVI SELLECK:
Baptism: 10/07/1768, St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT10
Child of LEVI SELLECK and OLIVE GREEN is:
i. COLUMBUS7 SELLECK, b. 8/27/1796.
1. Birth Death Marriages Salisbury, CT, Births of all Children of this marriage are registered in Salisbury, CT.
2. Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT, 10.
3. Vital Statistics of Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT.
4. Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT, 222.
5. Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT, 231.
6. Vital Statistics of Salisbury Twp, Litchfield, CT, Volume 3, page 110.
7. Birth Death Marriages Salisbury, CT, Volume 3, page 114.
8. Source of info.: Hist. of Van Buren Co., Salisbury, CT. Vital Records.
9. Birth Death Marriages Salisbury, CT.
10. Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Stamford, CT, 222.
RETURN TO THE TOWN OF SALISBURY MAIN PAGE
This page was created by
Linda Pingel on October 20, 2009
all rights reserved
This page may be freely linked but not copied
Background Graphic Courtesy of Castleberry Arts
Visit them Here