Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Biographies Project

A Part of the US Biographies Project

Surname E

Back to the Main County Page

Obituary - From the Fond du Lac Commonwealth Reporter - Dated: 2-19-1948

EBERHARDT, MRS. PAUL
Mrs. Louise Eberhardt, 53, wife of Paul J. Eberhardt, of 242 East Ninth street, died at 2 a.m. today at St. Agnes Hospital after a long illness. Daughter of George and Anna Schleyer Hermann, she was born September 5, 1894 at Oakfield and was married October 11, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Eberhardt established their home in this city, where Mr. Eberhardt had worked for the Bonita company the last 30 years. Mrs. Eberhardt was a member of the Equitable Reserve association. Besides her widower, survivors are a daughter, Mrs. John Ritchie, city; two grandchildren, Sandra Lee and Nancy Louise; a sister, Mrs. Ed Bartell; a brother, Jacob Hermann both of Oakfield. Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Candlish chapel, the Rev. Karl Koehler officiating. Burial will be in Estabrooks Cemetery.

 

EDWARDS Family Sarah (Edwards) Watson, Jane Edwards, William David Edwards, and Edward Edwards
Early Settlers of Eldorado Twp.

This story is about six Welch immigrants, the Edwards children, who came to America in the 1840s. Four of them settled in newly-created Eldorado Township where they established farms and raised their families in pioneer conditions. We, two of the many descendants of these families, tell their story as a memorial to their industry and perserverance in attaining the American dream.

Six of David and Ann Edwards' children reached adulthood. Their eldest sons were twins, John and Jenkin, born in 1818. The two were named for their paternal and maternal grandfathers. Next were Sarah (1819) and William (1823) - both would come to figure prominently in the history of Eldorado Township. And finally there were Edward (1828) and Jane (1833).

The David Edwards family lived in the Hafodyrynys community, which is located in the western-most part of Monmouthshire - a few miles west of Pontypool and dozen miles north of the Bristol channel. This is the "valley" area of Monmouthshire. Deep valleys cut down hundreds of feet into the surrounding plateau to form a unique topography.

Although Hafodyrynys fell within Trevethin Parish, the parish for Pontypool and its immediate area, the Edwards family usually attended the closer Llanhilleth parish church (St Illtyd's), which was located only a mile or so away.

David Edwards and his wife, the former Ann Lawrence, started out as tavern-keepers, first in Llantilo-Pertholey (a few miles north of Pontypool), then at the Star public house in the Hafodyrynys community, a property owned by Annís father, Jenkin Lawrence. Later, David was mostly involved in working the Jenkin Lawrence farms, which were near the Star on the Penhoelcochwidd Road. In the early 1840s, John, William and Edward (by then young adults) worked as journeymen in a local foundry, the Victoria Iron Works, situated a few miles to the north. By 1845 both David and Ann had passed away and the children collectively decided to try their fortunes in America. First William ventured forth with his new wife and child, then the others followed, all together on the sailing ship Columbian, leaving Liverpool on June 14, 1847, and arriving in Philadelphia almost two months later, on August 4th. The Edwards on board were John (age 28) and his young wife, Jemima (24), and their one year old infant, David.; Johnís twin, Jenkin; Sarah (27); Edward (19); and Jane (13).

The Columbian was a two-year-old, three-masted sailing ship built in Maine, 120 feet long and 27 feet wide. On this voyage she carried 158 passengers. Her first mate was a handsome young man named James Watson who was born in Kent, England, but raised in Oneida, New York. He and Sarah fell in love during the voyage and they married in Philadelphia on the 4th of August, the day the ship reached port.

The newlywed James and Sarah, with young Jane in tow, immediately left for Fond du Lac to try their skill at opening new lands. In a few years they had cleared and cultivated a total of 320 acres.

Sarah's brothers John, Jenkin and Edward joined their brother William in northeast Ohio where several families they had known back in Wales had settled. These people, the Morris families, were involved in the coal business. Two of these friends, John Morton Morris and his wife Ann, had operated the Carpenters Arms public house, which was located adjacent to the Llanhilleth church. Their daughter, Mary Morris, later became the wife of Edward Edwards.

Brother John stayed in the northeast Ohio area where he and his wife Jemima (Rees) reared their seven children. John worked in the coal mining industry in various capacities and served during the Civil War in Company A of the 104th Regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Jenkin, John's twin, died in Ohio shortly after arriving there.

After a few years in Ohio, both William and Edward decided to join their sister and brother-in-law in Wisconsin, and they purchased farms just south of the Watson property. All three farms were located about four miles east of the town of Eldorado, a half mile north of Highway "OO" on the east side of Seles Road.

The Watsons became established in the community - James was Eldorado town treasurer for seven years, and he was chairman of the town board when he died in 1860. The couple raised seven children, several becoming prominent citizens in the town of Fond du Lac. After James' death Sarah married again, this time to Archibald McDonald, a Civil War veteran from Iowa.

William and his second wife, Lydia, raised Ann and Mary, daughters of his first wife, and eight children of their own marriage on their Eldorado farm. One of their children, Sarah Alvina Edwards, married August Hansen. The Hansens raised a family of twelve children on their farm in Oakfield township.

Shortly after arriving in Wisconsin, Edward Edwards served in the Civil War as a private in the Wisconsin 1st Regiment. After that, he stayed only a short while in Eldorado, leaving in 1870 with his wife Ann and their children for new opportunities in Nebraska, then later in Ayrshire, Iowa. This family raised a brood of seven children, three born on their Eldorado farm.

And what about Jane Edwards? She never married, choosing instead to live with the family of her dear sister,Sarah. When Sarah died, just after the turn of the century, Jane lived the rest of her life in Fond du Lac with one of Sarah's daughters.

As the last century came to a close the Watson and Edwards farms passed to other hands and most of the childrenís families drifted out of the immediate area. But they all carried with them the strong sense of hard work and responsibility that came from leading successful lives on the American frontier.

Submitted and authored by:
Robert Edwards, descendant of Edward Edwards
Send EMail to Robert Edwards and
Beverly (Hanson) Oakley, descendant of William Edwards
Send EMail to Bev Oakley

 

Obituary - Fond du Lac Commonwealth Reporter Dated: 1-8-1923

EHRKE, H. 83, FOUND DEAD AT DAUGHTER'S HOME
Would Have Been 83 Years Old In March IN COUNTY NEARLY 60 YEARS
Henry Ehrke, 83, was found dead in bed at 5:30 o'clock, Snday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary Andrews residing in the Town of Lamartine. Mr. Ehrke was born in Mecklenberg, Germany and has been a resident of Fond du Lac county 56 years. He would have been 83 years of age had he lived until March 14. He has made his home with Mrs. Andrews for the past four years, his wife having died Feb. 3, 1918. The deceased is  survived by five sons, and one daughter. They are Charles of Racine; Albert of Marshfield; Herman of Fergus Falls; Julius and Henry, city; and Mrs. Andrews. The body was removed to the Zacherl chapel and is to be taken to the residence of Henry Ehrke, Sheridan Drive, where funeral services will be held at 1:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon and at 2 o'clock at Friedens church, Rev. C.L. Grauer officiating. Burial will be at Estabrooks Cemetery.
 

 

Obituary - Fond du Lac Commonwealth Reporter Dated: 10-18-1948

ELDRED, MRS. HARRY
Mrs. Lulu Kingsbury Eldred, wife of Harry Eldred, died at 12:18 a.m. today at her home, 132 Fifth street, after several months illness. Born April 11, 1866, in Milwaukee, the daughter of Isacher and Barbara Kinsbury, she was married November 10, 1899 at Berlin. The couple lived in Fond du Lac for four and one half years and then moved to Euerka, returning to this city three years later. Mrs. Eldred was a member of the Presbyterian church, the Rebekah lodge and American Legion auxiliary. Mr. Eldred is her only survivor. The body is in state at the Candlish chapel, where funeral services will be held at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, the Rev. C.T. Damp officiating. Burial will be in Rienzi Cemetery.

 

From the "History of Fond du Lac County", submitted by Cheri Pennau

ELLICSON, SEYMOUR, farmer, Secs. 23 and 24; P.O. St. Cloud. During the war of the rebellion, Mr. Ellicson served in Co. B. S. W. V. I. ; he was enrolled in the autumn of 1861, and participated in nearly all the seiges, battles and skirmishes his command was in, the principal ones being Frederickstown, Corinth, New Madrid, Ft. Pillow, Vicksburg, and a series of engagements around that place; at Luka, he was taken prisoner and retained a short time; was honorably discharged in the autumn of 1864. He is a native of Norway; was born May 7, 1831, and in 1846, emigrated with his parents Leaman and Ann Elliscson, to Erie Co., N.Y.; his mother died at Lockport, N.Y. and his father married again and moved to Greenbush, Sheboygan Co., Wis.; they afterward moved to Winnebago Co., where they died. In 1853, S. Ellicson, the subject of this sketch, married in Greenbush, Sheboygan Co., Wis., Salome Snell, a native of Cortland, N. Y., born in 1835; she was the daughter of John and Phoebe Snell, who came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled in the town of Forest, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., where they resided until their death. Mr. Ellicson and wife, after their marriage, lived in Greenbush until 1859, in which year they moved to their present home; their children are, John A., Florence C. (the wife of Eugene Chase, Dunn Co., Wis.); Dora M., (wife of Silas Carpenter), Delbert, Esther E., Turman W., Annie S., and Lillian B. Mr. Ellicson owns 120 acres of land. Himself and family are members of the M. E. Church, in which he is a leading member; he takes an active part in the religious and educational interests, giving them his support on every possible occasion; in politics, he is a Republican.

 

Obituary - Fond du Lac Commonwealth Reporter - Dated: 10-10-1955

ENGEL, HERMAN S.
Herman Engel Dies Suddenly On Home Visit
County Hospital Trustee Head Expires Of Heart Attack At Age 78
Herman S. Engel, 78 of 280 Rose Avenue, president of the Board of Trustees of Fond du Lac County Hospital and a former member of the county board died Sunday at 9:30 p.m. from a heart attack at the home of Harry Simon, Route 1. He was stricken while visiting there. A retired farmer, Mr. Engel was born May 25, 1877 in the Town of Taycheetah the son of John and Barbara Will Engel. He spent his life in the area and for the last 11 years had resided in Fond du Lac. His marriage to Gertrude Ditter took place November 18, 1902. Mr. and Mrs. Engel lived on a farm in the Town of Empire until Mr. Engel's retirement 11 years ago.
Mr. Engel was a member of St. Mary's church the Holy Name Society and Knights of Columbus. Surviving are his widow and children, Elmer and Nelita of Chicago, Herbert of Wannetka, Illinois, Mrs. Edward Neu of  Illinois,  Mrs. Ernest DeGraff of Chicago, William  Engel of Indianapolis, Indiana, Julia at home, Herman of Route 2, and Thomas of Route 1, Mt. Calvary; 24 grandchildren; three sisters and two brothers, Frank and William Engel of the city, Mrs. Henry Neitzke of Oak Park, Illinois, and Mrs. Edward Thome and Mrs. Anna Rein of this city. The body of Mr. Engel will be in state at the Zacherl Funeral Home after
7 p.m. today. Funeral services will be held there Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. and at 9 a.m. at St. Mary's church. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. Commonwealth Reporter - Dated: 10-12-1955 Funeral services for Herman S. Engel who died Sunday were held today at 8:30 a.m. at the Zacherl Funeral Home and at 9 a.m. at St. Mary's church. The Rev. Raymond Fox officiating. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery. Honary Pallbearers were Joseph Schneider, John Konen, Henry Simon, Ray Strobel, Dr. C.W. Leonard, Martin Schmitz, Nick Schmitz and John Jungwirth. Active Pallbearers were, Alfred, Harry and Norbert Engel, Alfred and Ambrose Ditter and John Neitzke. Those from out of the city attending the services were from Oak Park, Illinois; Forest Park, Illinois; Northfield, Illinois;  Milwaukee, Racine, Westfield and Indianapolis.

 

From the "History of Fond du Lac County", submitted by Cherie Pennau

ENGELS, HENRY, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Dotyville, Wis.; born in town of Forest, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., Feb 9, 1858. His father, Matthias Engels, was born in the village of Arbuck, Kreis, Adana, Germany, on 6th of July, 1819, and emigrated to Canada in 1843, thence to this town (Forest), in 1847. In 1851 he married Annie Balzar; he died in Forest June 11, 1879; his wife is still living and resides on the homestead; their children are Henry, John, Michael, Martin, Frank, Katie, Lizzie, Mary and Rosa. The estate consists of 160 acres of land, well improved. During his life in the town of Forest, Mr. Matthias Engels was elected to various local offices, and took an active part in the advancement of the educational interests in the district wherein he lived.