Western view of the central part of Ellington
The above is a west view of the Congregational church, and some other buildings in the central part of Ellington. In the village, or near the center of the town, are about 40 dwelling houses, most of which are finished in a neat, plain and handsome style. There is a high school, lyceum and conference house, school for young misses, district school, and two hotels, all of which are finished in a handsome style. The "Ellington School," designed principally for boys from the age of eight years to sixteen inclusive, is a respectable institution, and has acquired a deserved celebrity. The house of Judge Hall, the principal, and the high school, a spacious edifice, are elegant buildings, situated a little west of the Congregational church, on a gentle but beautiful eminence.
Reference: Connecticut Historical Collections......History and Antiquities of Every Town in Connecticut......2D Ed.; John Warner Barber, 1798-1885; Publisher: Durrie and Peck and JW, 1837.
RETURN TO THE ELLINGTON HISTORY PAGE
RETURN TO THE TOWN OF ELLINGTON MAIN PAGE
RETURN TO THE TOLLAND COUNTY PAGE
This page was created by Linda Pingel on February 20, 2000
copyright 2000 - all rights reserved
This page may be freely linked but not copied
Thank you for visiting
Animation by The Clip Art Connection
This page was last updated: February 22, 2000