EVERETT E. SALISBURY

& the GRAVES, JAQUES & WINSOR FAMILIES

BIOGRAPHY

AS RECORDED IN:

COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF 
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND REPRESENTATIVE  CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903     P.  948, 949

EVERETT E. SALISBURY,  one of the prosperous young merchants, bankers and real estate dealers of Windham county, resides in Moosup.

Abraham Salisbury, his grandfather, was a native of Rhode Island, and among his brothers were William, Robert and Charles.  Born in New Rockland, he engaged in farming in that community, and established more than a local reputation as a fox hunter.  In later years he moved to Moosup, Conn., where he died in 1860, at the age of fifty-six.  His first wife, Harriet Phillips, whose father was a prosperous mill owner near Hopkins Mills, R.I., was born and reared in Rhode Island.  To this marriage was born:  (1) Ora was married to Charles Hopkins, who went to California in the early days of the gold fever, and later, becoming a police officer, was killed in the discharge of his duties; she died at the age of twenty-five years.  (2) Theron Robinson.

Theron Robinson Salisbury, the father of Everett E., was born at Foster, R.I., March 19, 1839, and when a young man came to Connecticut.  At a time when shoemaking was a household art, and carried on at the homes of the patrons, he learned the trade, but did not follow it long.  He engaged in the hotel business in Moosup, Brooklyn, Danielson, Putnam, Taftville, Jewett City, New London and Block Island, Conn., through a period of thirty years.  The greater part of this time was passed in Moosup, where he died Dec. 6, 1899, and where his widow still resides.  Mr. Salisbury married Ellen L., a daughter of Lowell and Martha M. (Young) Graves, an old and prominent family in Killingly, Conn.  Of the six children born of this union, three died in infancy, and the three sons living are all residents of Moosup, and engaged in a mercantile business.  These are:  Everett Eugene, born July 22, 1859;  Charles Daniel, born Nov. 20, 1864; and Linwood Elmer, born June 7, 1874, married July 6, 1899, Clara Potvin of Moosup, and has one son, Roger Graves, born June 10, 1900.  The two last named are associated together in business.

THE GRAVES FAMILY  is of Scotch descent, and the first of the name to come to America was Whitney Graves.  He married Esther Youngs, a girl of English parentage, and to them were born eleven children:  Willis, who married Lizzie Moore, and lived to the advanced age of one hundred years;  Amy, who married Daniel Chase, who was county judge in Windham two terms, and judge of probate in Killingly two years;  Betsy, who married Walton Matthewson;  Ruby, who never married;  Esther, who married John Whitney;  Lucy, who married Westcott Franklin, and moved to Pennsylvania;  Helena, who married Rice Baker;  Naomi, who married a Mr. Warren;  Azuba, who married Mr. Coomer;  William, whose wife was Ruth Dean, of Killingly; and Lowell, the youngest of the family, who became the father of Mrs. Salisbury.

Lowell Graves was born May 13, 1804, and died Jan. 6, 1897.  He married Martha Maria Young, who was born Feb. 15, 1807, a daughter of Hezekiah Young, of one of the old Killingly families; she died Oct. 16, 1896.  Lowell Graves was a man of mark in his day, and was landlord of a tavern on the Providence turnpike at a time when stages were the only rapid transportation.  He was a farmer and merchant, and taught school during the winter term for many years.  For several years he filled the office of justice of the peace, and when he died it was stated that no name appeared in the town records oftener than his.  When a young man he was engaged in a grist mill, and was superintendent of a cotton mill in Rhode Island.  He was one of the oldest members of the Masonic Order.  To Lowell Graves and his wife were born:  one that died unnamed;  Ellen, born in 1832, and died at the age of five years, six months and ten days;  Cordelia, born in January, 1834, and married to Horace Butts, of Danielson, Conn.;  Ellen L. (Mrs. Theron R. Salisbury), born Oct. 15, 1839, now living in Moosup; and Gilbert Ansel, born April 23, 1837, a farmer of Killingly, and married to Frances Butts.

Everett E. Salisbury was born in South Killingly, Conn., and was educated in the public schools of that place, and at Moosup.  Private instruction was given him by Stephen Hall.  Remaining at home he helped his father in the hotel until he was twenty-one.  In 1881 he starter a general store in South Killingly, where he remained five years.  He owned the building in which is the post office and was made postmaster under President Garfield.  In 1886 he bought the stock in trade of Lucius Batty, at Moosup, and engage in the grocery trade in that city, and three years later his brother, Charles D., became a partner with him in this enterprise.  In 1892 Mr. Salisbury purchased of Dr. Burgess 178 feet frontage on Main street, where he erected the structure known as the Salisbury Block, a building 46 x 70 feet, and three stories high, and since extended to a depth of 96 feet.  To this new and commodious place the business was moved, and a stock of dry-goods and fancy notions was added.  The partnership of two brothers was dissolved in 1896, Charles D. taking the groceries, and Everett E., the dry-goods.  Both have a fine trade.

Mr. Salisbury is a large dealer in real estate, and in this line has been very successful.  In 1887 he bought the McGrath place on Prospect Hill, comprising some thirty acres, where only one dwelling house was standing.  Here he had a street established to which was given the name of Salisbury avenue, and here he has erected upwards of a score of neat cottages, besides having many building lots still on hand.  Here in 1888 he built his own handsome and commodious residence.  In 1894 he purchased what was known as the Crystal Lake farm in the town of Lisbon, N.H., in sight of the Franconia Mountains, chiefly for use as a summer home, and has since traded for a summer residence in Bethlehem, N.H.  In 1896 he purchased of Joseph Potvin all his real estate, consisting of forty tenements in Moosup.  In addition to his other interests Mr. Salisbury has opened a private bank, and has a part of the store fitted up for that purpose, conducting a general banking and savings department.  He also carries on both life and fire insurance.

Mr. Salisbury is a Republican and when in South Killingly was clerk of the school board.  He is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, A. F. & A. M., and his wife belongs to the Eastern Star.  Both are members of the Baptist Church of Moosup.

On Jan. 14, 1882, Mr. Salisbury was married in South Killingly, to Mary Etta, the daughter of Thomas and Maria (Hill) Jaques, and to this union were born:  Lira Ellen, born Nov. 4, 1883;  Evelyn A., born April 29, 1888;  Eldred Everett, born April 2, 1897.

THE JAQUES FAMILY  is of French origin, and the name is sometimes spelled Jacques.  The great-great-grandfather of Mrs. Salisbury was a native of France, and came to this country with LaFayette, of whom he was a relative, and in whose service he was an officer.  He married an English woman.

Amos Jacques, the great-grandfather, was born in Newport, R.I., and married Freelove Westcott.  Among their sons were Arthur F., the grandfather of Mrs. Salisbury, and Amos, both of whom were born in Sterling, Conn.  Amos Jaques became a man of means, owning a large estate in his native town.  He later moved to a farm near Rockville, Conn.  He married Mary Kenyon, and they had four children:  Calvin William, born March 24, 1822, died March 21, 1891; he married Anna G. Bucklin, and for over fifty years was a practicing physician.  Adoniram Judson.  John J.  Narissa E. is the wife of Dr. Isaac Sperry, of Waterbury, Connecticut.

Arthur F. Jaques was reared in Sterling, where he married Lydia, a daughter of Daniel Winsor.

Thomas Jaques, the father of Mrs. Salisbury, was born on Sterling Hill, in the town of Sterling, Conn., Sept. 15, 1826, and almost his entire life was spent in Killingly, where he was engaged in farming, and where he died at the age of fifty years.  He married Maria Hill, and their children were:  Edna, who married George Barlow, of South Killingly, Adelbert A., of South Killingly, who married Jennie Graves;  Frank, now a fruit grower in Florida, who married Mary Batty;  Lois, who wedded Charles Spaulding, of South Killingly;  Mary Etta, born Dec. 16, 1862;  William, who married Kate Bradock, and died at the age of thirty-two;  Ernest, in Alaska; and Arthur, at Utica, Ill.

The history of the WINSOR FAMILY referred to in the preceding is quite interesting, and begins with Robert Windsor, a Catholic knight of influence in the reign of Henry VIII, who raised an army to defend a monastery against a Protestant assault and won great fame in the operations of that campaign.  (I)  Joshua Windsor, a descendant of his through Samuel, John, and Samuel (2), of England, came to America, and made a home in Providence, R.I., in 1638, and was one of twenty to pay the thirty pounds, the amount of the price of Providence at the hands of the Indians.  All were admitted to equal shares with Roger Williams and 120 others who had already come to this asylum.  Here Joshua Windsor dropped the d out of the family name, and his descendants have followed his spelling.  He had four children, Samuel, Sarah, Susan and Mary.  Joshua Winsor died in 1655.

(II)          Samuel Winsor was born in 1644, and in 1677 married Mercy, the widow of Resolved Waterman, and the youngest daughter of Roger Williams.  To this union were born three children:  Samuel, Joshua and Hannah.  Samuel Winsor died in 1705.

(III)       Samuel Winsor (2), son of Samuel, born in 1677, in 1703, married Mercy Harding, of Providence, where he was at first a deacon of the historic Baptist Church, which had been established by Roger Williams, and was its pastor from 1733, until his death in November, 1758, at the age of eighty-one years, lacking one day.  He had two sons, Joseph and Samuel, and seven daughters, Martha, Mary, Mercy, Hannah, Lydia, Deborah and Freelove.

(III)   Joshua Winsor (2), son of Samuel, and grandson of Joshua the emigrant, born in 1682, was first married in 1706, to Mary Barker, of Newport, and second, to Deborah Harding in 1719. By his first marriage he had the following children:  Sarah;  Joshua (born in 1709), Samuel (born in 1712), Susanna and Mary.  To the second marriage were born:  Abraham (born in 1720), and John (born in 1723).  Mr. Winsor was co-pastor of the Baptist Church in Smithfield, for a number of years, and died Oct. 10, 1752, in his seventy-first year.

(IV)       Joseph Winsor, son of Samuel (2), born in 1713, married for his first wife, Deborah Matthewson, of Scituate, by whom she had twelve children:  Abraham, who married Roby Keech, of Gloucester;  Amos, who married Mary Bushee, of Gloucester;  Christopher, who married Sarah Smith, of Scituate, or Cranston;  Ann;  Anan, who married Amey Angell, of Smithfield;  Samuel, who married Marcy Healy, of Pawtucket;  Amey;  Deborah;  Lillis;  Martha;  Mary;  and Thankful.  Mr. Winsor married for his second wife the widow of Potter, of Providence.  He succeeded Thomas Knowlton as pastor of a separate Baptist Church in Gloucester, where he was ordained Oct. 31, 1763, and continued in that sacred office until his death in the summer of 1802, when he was in the eighty-ninth year of his age.

(IV)       Samuel Winsor (3), son of Samuel (2), born in 1722, married for his first wife, Lydia Olney, a daughter of John Olney, of North Providence, and their children were  Lucy;  Rhoda;  Isaac, who married Amy Waterman, a daughter of John Waterman, of Johnston; and Olney, who married Freelove Waterman, a daughter of Charles Waterman, of Johnston, by whom he had four children, Nancy, John O., Lemuel and Prudence, all of whom excepting Nancy died in infancy.  Samuel Winsor (3), married for his second wife Hope Thurber, a daughter of Samuel Thurber, of Providence by whom he had one daughter, Susan J., who was born in Alexandria, Va.  He succeeded his father as pastor of the Baptist Church in Providence, to which position he was ordained in June, 1759, where he continued until 1771, when, a division of the church taking place, he with the deacons and a majority of the members of the country part of the society, built themselves a meeting house in Johnston, and established themselves there.  Mr. Winsor continued their pastor until his death Jan. 26, 1803, at the age of eighty years.

Reproduced by:

Linda D. Pingel

 

Return to Main Page

This page was created by Linda Pingel on April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved