AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 1256
S. MARTIN, the skillful and active photographer of Stafford, Tolland county, has
a high reputation for his proficiency throughout New England.
He was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, Sept. 29, 1866, a son of John S. and
Rosalie (Hamsen) Martin.
S. Martin is a native of Copenhagen, where the family has lived for generations.
He is a popular hotel keeper there. By
his wife, Rosalie Hamsen, he has become the father of five children, namely:
William S.; Alfred, in the
mercantile business in Germany; Louis,
a brewer and wholesale dealer in hides near Copenhagen;
and Marian and Mark, at home.
S. Martin was the only member of his family to come to the United States.
He was educated in private schools in his native city, and for a short
time attended the University of Copenhagen with the intention of entering the
medical profession. While there,
however, and opportunity for an immediate source of revenue caused him to
abandon the idea of medicine, and he became bookkeeper in a large wholesale
house in Copenhagen, for some time following clerical work.
In 1885 he came to the United States, landing in New York, where as an
energetic, ambitious and determined youth he found employment in various
capacities. For a few years, as his
means were limited, he worked at whatever he could find to do.
In 1889 in New York he first became identified with photography; this
proved congenial to his tastes, and was easy for him to learn, as he was by
nature endowed with artistic skill. His
power of application enabled him readily to master the intricacies of the work,
and he rose rapidly in his chosen calling. As
soon as his means permitted, he established himself in business, locating at
Greenfield, Mass., in partnership, under the firm name of Martin & Lanfair.
At the end of two years, Mr. Martin severed his connection with the firm,
and located at Springfield, Mass., where he opened a studio for himself.
In November, 1897, he located in Stafford Springs, as manager of the
George M. Bolton photograph gallery, which business he shortly purchased, and
has conducted it since with never failing success.
He is highly esteemed, not alone by those of his profession, but by those
who have met him either in business or in social life.
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved