AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 1257
WALDO LATHROP, deceased. Among those
who helped to make Stafford, Tolland county, an enterprising business center,
must be numbered William Waldo Lathrop, the popular druggist, now deceased, who
was born at Bridgeport, Conn., April 10, 1863.
Lathrop, father of William W., died March 31, 1878, in Coventry, Conn.
In business life he was a manufacturer, and although at the time of his
death he was but forty-five years of age, he had attained considerable success.
His first wife, Harriet A. Waldo, died Oct. 16, 1863, aged thirty years.
To this union had been born: George
A., who died March 15, 1861, aged seven months and seventeen days;
and William Waldo. For his
second wife Ferdinand Lathrop wedded Maryette Fuller, who died Aug. 30, 1883
aged forty-one years, having borne her husband one child, Mary, who married
Benjamin Fessenden. The
grandfather's name on the paternal side was John Lathrop, but nothing further is
known of him.
Waldo Lathrop was born in Bridgeport, and brought to Tolland county in his
infancy. He received his education
first in the neighboring schools of his home, then in Coventry, and later he
attended Willimantic high school. After
leaving school, he entered a grocery store in South Coventry, where he remained
a short time, and then went to South Manchester and clerked in a drug store for
several years. In 1889 he came to
Stafford Springs, and started in the drug business, in which he continued until
his death, which occurred Sept. 11, 1897.
establishing himself in the drug business in Stafford Springs, Mr. Lathrop
really acted in opposition to the advice of several whose familiarity with the
business situation at the time was not to be doubted.
His first place of business was located where his later success was
achieved, and he succeeded from the start. Fire
destroyed his first store, but not until a time when he knew the possibilities
of a well-kept and up-to-date drug store in Stafford Springs.
He at once began the construction of a larger store, in which he placed
the most modern and elaborate fixtures, so that when it was reopened the town
could claim the finest store of its kind in the county, and certainly one finer
than any drug store in a town of the size in New England.
Mr. Lathrop's business foresight and judgement in this enterprise were
very much in evidence by the success which came to it.
In business matters generally, or in matters of finance, his opinion
carried weight, and not infrequently was sought.
His was a foremost position among the representative business men of his
town. In politics he was a Democrat,
but was not a politician, never desiring or seeking office.
Feb. 3, 1887, Mr. Lathrop was married to Harriet West, a daughter of Mrs. F.M.
West of South Manchester, Conn., and to this union were born:
Frank Waldo, born Dec. 5, 1888; and
Dorothy West, born June 19, 1891. Mrs.
Lathrop is a consistent member of the Episcopal Church.
following is clipped from the Stafford Press
under the date of Sept. 16, 1897, and demonstrates the high esteem in which Mr.
Lathrop was held by his fellow-townsmen:
business ventures of Mr. Lathrop always proved fortunate, as he had talent
combined with push and energy. He
sold his business in Manchester and came to Stafford Springs in 1889.
He built up and retained a good business here.
He invested his surplus money in real estate here, and at the time of his
death owned many single and double houses on Grant avenue, besides his own
residence. He was of a happy, genial
disposition, and had a host of friends. He
was fond of practical jokes, and was never more happy than when planning or
taking part in any kind of an escapade that promised good-natured fun.”
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved