& THE HOWARD FAMILY
AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 1192
HOWARD. Perhaps no family in the
State of Connecticut owns a clearer or more direct ancestry than does that of
Howard, and certainly no family has been more prominent in the various walks of
life, its present representative, Alvarado Howard, an honorable citizen of
Stafford, Tolland county, being one of the leading members of both public and
social circles in his county.
Howard family traces its line of descent from Thomas Howard, of the ducal house
of Norfolk, England, Earl of Arundel and Surrey. At
his death in 1646 his personal estate was divided between his eldest son, Sir
Henry, and his second son, who was Sir William, Viscount of Stafford, the
younger son receiving but a small amount of property.
This was Thomas Howard (2), and in 1660 he with other sons of ducal
houses, started for the new World, in search perhaps of adventure and the
fortunes supposed to be awaiting all across the Atlantic.
They reached Saybrook from Norwich, England, and soon after their arrival
joined a party consisting of Rev. Jonas Fitch, Thomas Bingham, Robert Allyn,
John Mason and others and accompanied them from Saybrook to a tract of land
which was located twenty-five miles to the northeast.
In the previous year this same party had visited the desired tract,
purchased and surveyed it, taking in a body nine miles square, and then they had
returned to Saybrook, leaving several members on the new territory to remain
until their arrangements could be perfected for their final settlement there.
These settlers warmly welcomed the immigrants and they located
permanently upon the nine mile tract, now the city of Norwich, Connecticut.
January, 1666, (I)
Thomas Howard (2), the great-great-great-great grandfather of Alvarado
Howard, was unite in wedlock to Mary Hollman, and their children were:
Mary, Sarah, Martha, Thomas and Benjamin.
Benjamin Howard, son of Thomas (2), was born in June, 1675, and to his
marriage two sons were born, Thomas (3) and Benjamin.
Howard (3), was born in July, 1702, and married in Mansfield, Conn., his wife's
name being Sarah. The children born
to them were: Benjamin, Thomas,
Joseph, Eunice, Martha, Mary, Eleazer, Nathan and William.
Howard (4), was born in January, 1729, in Saybrook, Conn., and died in May,
1810, in Windsor, which now is Ellington. From
Saybrook, Mr. Howard moved to Mansfield, Conn., and there became a large
landowner, at one time having a single tract which contained 700 acres.
Later he invested largely in land in Sturbridge, Mass., having made the
discovery that lead mines could be profitably worked there, and finally absorbed
almost all of the land in that locality. Later
he sold his interests and realized 7,200 pound from this valuable mineral land.
He then retired to Windsor, now Ellington, to pass the remainder of his
life, free from business care. April
11, 1757, he was married to Mary Pember, and their children were:
Irene, Phebe, Lydia, Joseph, Joseph (2), Lucy, Andrew, Pember, Thomas,
Eleazer and Eleazer (2).
Pember Howard, son of Thomas (4), was born Sept. 8, 1767, in Windsor,
Conn., and died Feb. 3, 1841, in Westfield, Mass.
Mr. Howard inherited a part of his father's business capacity and became
an extensive farmer and large cattle dealer, buying his herds in the West and
bringing them for sale to the East. He
was married Jan. 8, 1795, to Betsey Orcutt, and then settled in West
Springfield, Mass., where he engaged in agricultural pursuits and became a
prominent citizen. Their children
were: Betsey, born Dec. 11, 1795,
deceased Dec. 28, 1878; Pember, Jr.,
born Jan. 10, 1798, deceased Nov. 14, 1878;
Prosper, born Jan. 3, 1800; Lucy,
born March 24, 1802, deceased March 24, 1878;
Nathan, born July 4, 1804, deceased May 23, 1883;
Mary, born July 10, 1806, deceased Dec. 5, 1870;
Asa, born Oct. 4, 1808, deceased Jan. 4, 1875;
Eleazer, born Sept. 13, 1810, deceased Oct. 4, 1890;
Lydia, born March 5, 1814; and Amasa, born July 21, 1816, deceased Oct.
Howard, the father of Alvarado, was born July 4, 1804, in West Springfield,
Mass., and early in life learned the trade of wheelwright and architect.
His natural ability as a mathematician particularly fitted him for this
work, and he engaged in building and contracting for a number of years.
The last twenty-five years of his useful and busy life were spent as
designer and general supervisor of construction for the Thorndike Company, the
large cotton manufacturers of Palmer, Mass., who employed at that time over
1,000 hands in their mills. His
death occurred at Palmer, May 23, 1883, after a short illness, his life having
been a remarkably healthy one. For
some years prior to his decease, he had lived retired from activity.
During this time, however, he kept his active mind employed in the
settling up of estates and in appraising property.
Howard was always a man who was intelligently interested in public affairs, and
was an active politician, although never a seeker for office.
In his earlier years he was a Whig, later joined the Know-Nothing party,
and in 1854 identified himself with the Republican party.
He served in Palmer as selectman during the Civil war, and was on the
school board for a number of years, declining almost all of the other local
offices. From West Springfield he
went to Belchertown when he was but a small boy, in 1811, and remained employed
on the home farm until 1821, at which time he removed to Bondville and took
charge of the lumber interest of the Bond & Merrick Co., where he remained
until the panic of 1837, when he removed to his farm in Palmer, which he had
purchased a few years previously. There
he built a modern house and introduced into it a "Franklin stove,"
this being an innovation, and the first one in that locality.
1840, Mr. Howard exchanged his farm for one in the south part of the town, and
in 1843, he removed to Monson, in order to take charge of the re-modeling of the
O.W. Porter factory there; in 1845 he again changed his residence, to Thorndike,
in the town of Palmer, where he was placed in charge of the building of the
company's new mill and tenement houses, and there he remained, as above stated,
for twenty-five years, in charge of important departments.
He was fond of recalling his old instructor, Capt. Braman, of
Belchertown, a master workman who had a wide reputation in his day.
his early years Mr. Howard became connected with the Congregational Church, but
later attended the Methodist Church, that being the religious body to which his
wife belonged. Mr. Howard was man of
great physical strength and manly development, and in his younger days was known
as an athlete.
to the respect and esteem in which he was held by his fellow-citizens, we can do
no better than to quote from a timely and sympathetic article in the Springfield
Republican, in its issue following his
death: "Mr. Howard was a rare
specimen of sturdy, New England manhood. Thirty-eight
years of his life were identified with the growth and interests of Thorndike,
and fully fifty years with the town at large.
His brains and hands shaped much of the village development.
Since 1845, every resident manager of the great interests of the
Thorndike Manufacturing Company, has looked to him for advice in many matters,
and found rare wisdom and judgement. Town-wise,
he was well known, as his name often appears on the town records in an official
relation. He never sought office,
but when once a trust was placed in his hands, it was wisely handled and
faithfully carried out. A man of
strong convictions and few words, what he did was done from the highest motives
and with strongest purpose."
April 5, 1827, Nathan Howard was united in matrimony to Miss Amanda Ruby, who
was born Oct. 24, 1802, a daughter of Thomas and Betsy (Fuller) Ruby, of Union,
Conn. Her death took place in
Thorndike, Mass., April 28, 1873. The
children born to Nathan Howard and his wife were nine in number:
(1) Sanford, who was born March 21, 1828, in Belchertown, died Dec. 1,
1859. He was married Oct. 24, 1848,
to Charlotte Tupper, of Monson, Mass., and he started in life as a machinist and
weaver, and was later given charge of the cotton mills in Plymouth, Conn., as
superintendent. Still later he
returned to Monson, Mass., studied medicine and became a successful physician in
Thorndike, Mass. James Erigene, his
son, is an authority on testing the strength of metals and munitions of war, and
has charge of the Government testing grounds at Watertown, Mass., being a
practical mechanical and civil engineer, obtaining a part of his education and
experience in Europe, and he is also author of several valuable works in his
line. (2) Emily, born Aug. 8, 1829,
died July 27, 1831. (3) Emily (2),
born July 3, 1831, was married April 29, 1852, to George Waterman Fuller, of
Palmer, Mass., a successful farmer and large tobacco grower.
She died in Deerfield, Mass., in July, 1901, leaving these children,
George W., Sadie A., Andrew W. and Emelie H.
(4) Annis Ursula, born Aug. 6, 1833, was married to Anson A. Dorman, of
Belchertown, Mass., and their daughter is Cora A.
(5) Emerancy, who was born Nov. 13, 1835, married Nathaniel P. Braman,
Jr., who is now retired and a resident of South Florida.
Formerly he had charge of the "stocking" department of the
Winchester Rifle works in New Haven. (6)
Eliza Rubie, who was born June 23, 1837, was married May 29, 1859, to William D.
Heald, of Stafford, and their children are:
Anna S., Charles H., William H., and Bertha L.
(7) James Gilbert, who was born March 8, 1840, died May 23, 1851.
(8) Betsey Ann, who was born Sept. 10, 1842, died Sept. 1, 1843.
(9) Alvarado, was born Feb. 2, 1845, in Monson, Massachusetts.
born in Monson, Mr. Howard's early education was obtained in Palmer, Mass.,
whither his parents had removed when he was but two months old.
Finishing the public school course in Palmer he began preparation for
entrance into the Rensselaer Polytechnic School, but ill health and impaired
hearing compelled him to resign his cherished plans, when about eighteen years
of age. He had hoped to study civil
and mechanical engineering, his tastes being very pronounced in that direction.
Howard then entered the repair department of the Thorndike Company, giving up
all hope of preferment in other lines on account of his continued delicate
health; he remained under his father for the next four years, before deciding to
prepare himself as a cotton superintendent.
With this end in view, he returned to his books and took a business and
commercial course in Burnham's Business College, graduating with honors.
Soon several positions were at his disposal, which he declined and in the
fall of 1866 he came to Stafford, still looking for the right place.
Howard was not idle by any means, for he comes from stock that has been noted
for activity, and during his first winter there he taught school in
"Village Hill," passing the two following years assisting his
brother-in-law, William D. Heald, in his drug business.
In the fall of 1867, with Mr. George M. Ives, he engaged in the Granite
Mill Company, assisting in the work of getting the books and accounts of the
company arranged to date. This was
not entirely new business, as his work in assisting the Internal Revenue
collector, G.H. Baker, with his books and later in the local savings bank, had
been highly commended. Before three
days has passed, Mr. Ives offered Mr. Howard the position of bookkeeper,
paymaster and superintendent. The
most flattering offer was accepted, and in this association he remained for the
succeeding seven years. During that
time he was frequently promoted, his interests were considered, and his work
appreciated, and although other mills offered him various positions he remained
with Mr. Ives until ill health compelled him to resign his pleasant and
profitable connection. During these
years the business increased in volume, the plant engaging in the manufacture of
all kinds of cotton fabrics, and when Mr. Howard was compelled to resign, in
1875, it was on as sound a basis as any plant in New England.
Howard then became treasurer of the Savings Bank of Stafford Springs, and in
1891 was made one of the directors. His
sound financial methods made him a desirable assistant in the organizing of the
First National Bank, of Stafford Springs, and he was one of its first directors.
During 1881-82-83 he had charge of the financial department in the
Mineral Springs Manufacturing Company, all of these trusts having been
administered with dispatch, judgement and efficiency.
staunch Republican, Mr. Howard has filled most acceptably many of the local
offices and with distinction represented the town in the Legislature, on several
important committees, in 1874. For
several terms he has served as burgess and was warden for several years, notably
during the time of the memorable floods of 1877.
For several years his time was given to the duties of the assessor's
office and for a number of terms he has been justice of the peace.
During a long period he has been acting school visitor, has served as
collector of town and school taxes, was active in the consolidation of the
school system of the town, was also instrumental in the incorporation of the
borough, was its first clerk and treasurer, for two years, and has been
identified with its growth and the growth of its institutions, as an officer,
and also as an adviser. His interest
has always been active, and he has contributed liberally of his time and means.
He was very much interested and most active in the formation and
organization of the Stafford Springs Cemetery Association.
project of public benefit to which Mr. Howard has lent interest, was the
formation of the Stafford Springs Library and Reading Room Association, the
first business meeting being held in his home in 1873, when he was elected the
first president. In 1876 the
association was re-organized, under the laws of the State, as "The Stafford
Library Association," and Mr. Howard continued to act as its president,
taking a deep interest in its improvement and scope.
He also has consented for several years to act as its secretary and
Howard was married Oct. 9, 1869, to Mill Julia Huldah Holcomb, who was a
daughter of Charles and Mary (Byrne) Holcomb, a native of New Hartford,
Litchfield Co., Conn. To this union
have been born these children: Elizabeth
R., who was born June 11, 1871, and
died Dec. 17, 1878; Mary, who was
born May 19, 1881, and died April 19, 1889; and Holcomb R., born July 19, 1877.
The last named became a pupil in the public schools of Stafford,
finishing the course there with great credit.
Then he became well and favorably known in athletic circles, notably, as
a long distance bicycle rider. He
entered his father's office, but in August, 1899, went to Appleton City, Mo., as
local manager for the Trustee's Land Company, and there he had a hotel, opera
house, a number of stores and residences and several farms under his management.
In 1901 he was made an alderman in that city and was prominently
identified with the interests of that locality.
He resigned his position to enter the employ of the American Car and
Foundry Co., at Madison, Ill. On
Aug. 23, 1899, Mr. Holcomb Howard was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth
Fairman Sprague, of Stafford, who was a daughter of Dr. and Mary (Fairman)
I.O.O.F. circles Mr. Howard has long been prominent and is well known in this
connection over the State. He was a
charter member of Waseon Lodge, No. 32, I.O.O.F., and he was the first Noble
Grand of the Lodge, for two terms, and has served as trustee ever since its
organization. Mr. Howard was also
Deputy-Grand of the district during two terms.
Also he is prominently connected with the order of Daughters of Rebekah,
which is an auxiliary to the I.O.O.F. organization, of Rockville, Connecticut.
his youth Mr. Howard has been connected with the Methodist Church and has been
liberal and generous in his contributions for the support of its charities and
mission work. For a long period he
has been one of the trustees of the Stafford Springs Church, and is most highly
valued in this office.
any public enterprise or educational movement in his locality has been developed
or brought to completion without the active assistance of Alvarado Howard, and
the citizens feel their indebtedness and are not slow in testifying their
appreciation. One of the movements
which Mr. Howard favored, was that of providing two voting districts, this being
a most desirable arrangement for public convenience.
In every relation of life he has stood before his fellow citizens as a
man of care and thoughtfulness for others, and has exhibited those qualities
which the world likes to attribute to descendants of noble blood.
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved