& EMERSON W. MOORE
AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 729
FAMILY. Samuel Gilbert came from
Massachusetts to Hebron in the early settlement of Hebron, and lived and died in
a house near Bliss’s sawmill. He
is named among the proprietors to whom patents were issued on the organization
of the town of Colchester in 1698 and 1703.
Samuel Gilbert, Jr., his son, built the house which stands one mile east
of Gilead, where the road strikes the Bolton road.
There his family were born and reared, and the place long bore the name
of the Gilbert homestead. Samuel
Gilbert, Jr., who was born in 1711 and died in 1774, had two wives, Elizabeth,
the mother of Samuel and Elizabeth; and Abigail (the daughter of Samuel Rowley),
whose children were: Thomas;
Abigail; Sylvester, who was a
distinguished member of the legal profession, and a member of the early
judiciary of the State; and Gardner.
Gilbert, the eldest son of Samuel, Jr., born June 3, 1734, was better known as
Col. Samuel Gilbert. His children by
his first wife, Lydia Post, were: Lydia,
who married Ralph Mack; Samuel
Augustus, who died young; George
Oliver, who died in Wisconsin. Col.
Samuel Gilbert was married the second time, Sept. 3, 1775, to Deborah Champion,
of Colchester, a sister of Gen. Henry Champion.
Their children were: Samuel
Augustus (2); Elizabeth;
Sarah, who died young; Payton
Randolph; John Henry;
Sarah (2); Abby Maria; and
Samuel Gilbert, was the first chief justice of the Tolland county court.
In stature he was a man of majestic proportions, standing over six feet
in height, and carrying his weight with much dignity and self-possession.
His manners were polished and courtly, and he bore himself with the ease
and grace of the old school gentleman. For
many years he was connected with the militia service, and was colonel of a
regiment when military titles were regarded as some evidence of the worth and
character of a man. As a lawyer he
had little preparation for a legal career, but he studied and prepared himself
by wide reading and close observation for a very successful career.
Without the advantage of college training, his style of address was
singularly lucid and intelligent, and his well known integrity, honesty and
devotion to the right, gave weight and force to his appeals.
With candid appearance and inspiring fairness he could reduce every
proposition to its primal elements, and if there was wrong in it, he could make
the jury see it so clearly that no sophistry could blind them to the full force
of what he was putting before them. For
twenty-one years Col. Gilbert was retained on the bench of Tolland county.
For twenty sessions he represented the town of Hebron in the General
veneration and respect that Judge Gilbert and his wife always showed each other
was remarkable, and worthy of universal imitation.
It is a tradition that Judge Gilbert never permitted himself to wear his
hat in the house; and that she always rose when he entered the room, and
recognized him by a modest courtesy, thus preserving to the last the same
dignified bearing that marked their first acquaintance.
In private and personal life Mr. Gilbert was very much beloved by his
family and friends, and was most esteemed by those who knew him best.
He died in that part of Hebron which was called Gilead Society, at the
advanced age of eighty-four years. He
left a large estate, which was distributed among four sons and three daughters.
One of his sons, George O., was a sheriff of Tolland county.
Randolph Gilbert, a son of Col. Gilbert, was born in Hebron, Sept. 12, 1784, and
was married Sept. 12, 1806, to Anna Porter.
Their children were: Edwin
Randolph, who died in Wallingford, Conn., where he was pastor of a
Congregational Church for forty-two years; Josiah
Champion, a resident of Hebron, who was sent to the General Assembly in 1849 and
1853; Melissa Ann, widow of John M.
Hall, living in Hartford; Abby
Maria, who died at the age of eighteen years;
Charles Augustus, who died in Mobile, Ala.;
Ralph Porter; Samuel E., who
located at Evansville, Ind.; and Sarah T., who died at the age of twenty years.
Porter Gilbert was born in Hebron, Aug. 30, 1819, and was married Sept. 14,
1842, to Mary L. Hutchinson, a daughter of John Bissell Hutchinson.
Mrs. Mary L. Gilbert was born Sept. 23, 1819, and died Dec. 18, 1861.
Mr. Gilbert died May 16, 1891. For
thirty years he was superintendent of the Sunday-school at Gilead.
Mr. Gilbert was a member of the House in 1880, and a Senator in 1882 and
1883; in 1884 he was a delegate to the national Republican convention, and was
for years an influential and leading citizen of the community.
Owning a large and fertile farm, he cultivated it thoroughly, and was
known as a successful farmer.
Porter Gilbert and his wife were the parents of the following family:
Anna Lauretta, born May 11, 1844, the widow of Emerson W. Moore;
John Randolph, born June 13, 1849, who resides in Gilead, Conn.;
Mary Hutchinson, born Dec. 18, 1855, who died, unmarried, June 22, 1877.
W. MOORE was a son of William and
Florilla Maria (Talcott) Moore, and had one brother and two sisters who grew up;
Charles D., who is a resident of Westfield, Mass.;
Flora, who died young; Nellie,
wife of William F. Risley, of Manchester, Conn.
Mr. Moore was born at Rainbow, Conn., Aug. 9, 1844, where he received his
early education, which was supplemented by study at Wilbraham Academy and at the
Connecticut Literary Institute at Suffield, Conn.
His early years were marked by the development of unusual business
ability, and by the possession of a personal character that commanded confidence
of his neighbors. Engaging in a
mercantile career at Vernon, in 1868, when only twenty-four years old, he
represented his town in the General Assembly, where he served on the committee
on Finance. Three years later he was
appointed a clerk in the office of the comptroller.
In 1877 he rose to the position of chief clerk, and served in that
capacity until his death, Dec. 24, 1897. His
first appointment was secured very largely through the instrumentality of Judge
Cowell, of Hartford, but his own character and ability retained him in the
office, and pushed him forward until he came into charge of the department.
His information on all matters relating to his work was of wide range,
and gave his work vast value.
Moore was married June 5, 1873, to Ellen Frances, a daughter of Walter M. and
Almera (Kennedy) McKee, by whom he had the following children:
Florence Almera, born May 25, 1875; William
Emerson, born Aug. 25, 1877, who died June 4, 1892;
Anne Maria, born Nov. 14, 1883. Mrs.
Moore, who was born May 3, 1843, died Dec. 4, 1883.
Mr. Moore was married Jan. 13, 1886, to Anna Lauretta Gilbert, who was
born in Gilead Society, town of Hebron.
Moore joined the Talcottville Congregational Church soon after its organization,
and took an active part in its work, his fine character and lofty nature giving
him much influence in the society. At
different times he served as assistant superintendent of the Sunday-school,
worked on various church committees, and taught a class in the Sunday-school for
many years. He was a man of marked
Christian character and delightful personal traits, much respected by all who
knew him. At his funeral many tokens
of esteem and love were offered, among them being a large floral offering,
representing the coat of arms of Connecticut, bearing the letters,
“From the State of Ct., 1871-1897.”
Another was a broken column of roses bearing the words,
“From the Departments of the State of Ct.”
One cross was from the employees of the comptroller.
The State Capitol was closed on the day of his funeral.
He was buried at Mt. Hope cemetery at Talcottville.
D. Pingel – great-great granddaughter of Cyrus White of Rockville, Ct.
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved