PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903     P.  1129

CHARLES S. FULLER  is one of the leading citizens of Somers, Tolland county, and descends from an old Connecticut family, which is mentioned more fully elsewhere.  He is a great-grandson of Solomon L. Fuller, a Revolutionary soldier, and a grandson of Solomon Fuller.

Solomon Fuller, father of Charles S., was born April 3, 1817, in Somers, about one mile south of the Center, where he was reared a farmer boy.  His education, begun in the district school, was continued at Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass., and was concluded at a law school at Chillicothe, Ohio, where he was a fellow student of many famous men of the last generation, including the late Hon. Allen G. Thurman, who was known as the "Old Roman."  For a time Mr. Fuller practiced law in Chillicothe, and then coming back to Somers, engaged in both farming and in the practice of law as consulting attorney.  Soon after returning to Somers he was elected town clerk and judge of probate, and held these positions for some four years, at the end of which time he resigned to go to Olmstead, Iowa, where he had a saw mill and was engaged in lumbering for about two years.  Then, disposing of his business interests in the West Mr. Fuller returned to Somers where he was again elected town clerk, treasurer, and judge of probate.  These positions he held until his death, which occurred June 4, 1896, after a brief illness.  Mr. Fuller was a Republican, and represented the town of Somers in the General Assembly in 1863.

Solomon Fuller married Mary Killam, of Enfield, daughter of Lot and Tabitha Pease (Potter) Killam, who died Dec. 2, 1898, at the age of eighty years.  Their children were:  Edward L., born in November, 1852, who died Oct. 5, 1875; and Charles S., whose name introduces this article.

Charles S. Fuller was born March 23, 1855, in the house in which he is living at the present writing.  His education was obtained in the public schools and the academy at Wilbraham, Mass., which he attended three years.  Leaving school at the end of that time he was a clerk for C.A. Arnold, at Somers and was later interested in a mercantile enterprise at North Wilbraham, Mass., as a member of the firm of E.B. Gates & Co.  There he remained four years, returning to Somers in 1886 to open the "Elmwood House" and engage in the hotel and livery business.  The livery was connected with the stage line between Somers and Hazardville station, which has been conducted by Mr. Fuller for a number of years.  When his father died Mr. Fuller disposed of the hotel, and was chosen to succeed his father in the various public positions which he had so long and ably filled. 

Charles S. Fuller was married Dec. 18, 1877, to Minnie I. Champin, of New York City, daughter of William and Emily (Ripley) Champin.  To this union came one child, Ernest Solomon, born Sept. 1, 1879.  He was educated in the high school at Somers and the Monson (Mass.) Academy and Wesleyan University, which latter institution he attended two years.  He is now a member of the firm of Needham & Fuller, merchants of Somers.  Mr. Fuller and his son are both members of the Congregational Church at Somers.

The parents of Mrs. Fuller are both deceased.  She is a descendant on her mother's side of the emigrant ancestor, William Ripley, who came from England in 1632.

Reproduced by:

Linda D. Pingel great-great granddaughter of Cyrus White of Rockville, Ct.


Return to Main Page

This page was created by Linda Pingel on April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved