AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903
The French family has long been
established in Connecticut. John
French was a resident of Coventry, where he was married in 1736 to Mehitable, a
daughter of Thomas Root, a deacon of the First Church. They
removed to South Windsor, where he died, leaving two sons, Aaron and Nathan.
Nathan French, the great-grandfather of
Samuel L., was the father of Eleazer, who was the father of Eleazer W., the
father of Samuel L.
Eleazer French was born in Coventry, and
was reared to a farmerís life.
Fanny Woodward, his wife, was also a native of Coventry, where they both
died and were buried in the North Yard. They
were the parents of the following family: Eleazer
Woodward is mentioned below; Oliver B. married Jane French, a daughter of Aaron
French, and moved to Michigan in the forties, and to Geneseo, Ill., in the
fifties; John Butts married Jane Porter, and lived in Coventry; Daniel A.
married Dorcas Bissell, of Bolton; Nathaniel Woodward, now of Glastonbury,
Conn., married Catherine Brown, of Coventry; Mary E. married Charles Lee, of
Vernon, Conn., and is now deceased; Ann married Henry Goodwin, of Coventry; and
Abbie Sophia married Rollin Clark, of Mansfield, Conn., and is now living with
her son, Charles, in Coventry.
Eleazer Woodward French, who was born
July 30, 1807, married Aug. 20, 1835, Amanda Rosencrans Brundage, who was born
Sept. 12, 1812, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Brundage, the former of whom
was born May 30, 1785, the latter in 1795, and they died Dec. 8, 1827, and March
20, 1824, respectively; they had their home in what is now Mountainville, Orange
To Mr. And Mrs. French were
born: Daniel, born May 9,
1837, died May 18, 1862; William Henry, born Sept. 27, 1841, resides in
Coventry; Samuel Linneas, born March 17, 1844; and George Nathaniel, born April
5, 1848, resides at Bridgeport, where he is a conductor on the Consolidated
Railroad (he is married and has two children).
Eleazer W. French lived
in Coventry all his life, with the exception of a short time spent in New York,
where he was married. A cooper by
trade, he followed that occupation somewhat extensively, though he owned and
carried on a farm. Many tierces for
the Wellington Glass Works were made by him, and the cooper trade was only given
up by him when ill health compelled him to retire from the shop a few years
before his death, June 15, 1868, which followed that of his wife, July 5, 1864.
An active Republican, he served as selectman some six or seven terms,
first taking that office in the fall of 1858.
In 1858 he represented his town in the General Assembly.
Samuel Linneas French was born in the
Northeast School District, of Coventry, in a house now owned and occupied by a
Mr. Skilton. When he was nine years
old, the family moved to Geneseo, Ill., where they remained six months.
Reared in his native town, he attended the local and select schools, the
latter being taught by college teachers. In
1856 the family removed to Ellington, but spent only a short time there, soon
returning to Coventry, where they made their home on Pond Hill.
In 1862, through the efforts of Deacon Lillie, Mr. French was given a
position at the Wethersfield State Prison, which he held for three and a half
years. In 1865 he was employed for
six months in the Penitentiary at Albany, then coming back to make his home on
the parental estate in Coventry. In
1867 Mr. French came into possession of the family homestead on Pond Hill,
consisting of 105 acres, which he cultivated until April, 1896, when he removed
to Andover, where he occupies a pleasant and attractive home.
His Coventry property still receives his close attention.
In politics he is a Democrat, and takes a leading part in local affairs.
For seven years he was a selectman, and was a member of the General
Assembly inn 1887, serving on the Fisheries committee during the time of the
troubles on the Sound. Lesser
offices have been filled by him, and at present he is town Health officer, and a
member of the school board.
On Dec. 20, 1866, Mr. French was married
to Ellen Caroline Loomis, a daughter of Samuel Tracy and Caroline Eunice (Fitch)
Loomis. The father of Mrs. French
was born Nov. 11, 1819, and died in his home Jan. 16, 1896; the mother was born
Feb. 14, 1824, died Nov. 6, 1896, and was buried beside her husband in the
Center Cemetery of Coventry. The
children of Mr. And Mrs. Loomis were: Ellen
Caroline, born on Silver street, in Coventry, Jan. 28, 1845; Fanny Fitch, born
Jan. 8, 1848, married Alexander H. Pomeroy, March 5, 1867, in North Coventry;
and Carrie Elizabeth, born Dec. 11, 1861, married Robert W. Hamilton, of
Brooklyn, N.Y., and is the mother of three children, Charles Tracy (born Sept.
20, 1880), Clifton Loomis (born Oct. 1, 1881) and Mabel Grace (born April 5,
1883). Mr. Loomis was a Republican,
and a member of the North Coventry Congregational Church.
Samuel Tracy Loomis, noted above, was the son of Samuel Loomis, and the grandson of Daniel Loomis, who was a Revolutionary soldier. Daniel Loomis was born in 1758, and married Sarah Fields, by whom he had the following children: Russell, Eleazer, Ariel, Anna, Sarah, Timothy, Clarissa, Samuel, Polly, and Daniel
Samuel Loomis, grandfather of Mrs.
French, was born June 2, 1790, died Jan. 2, 1858.
He married Irene Tracy, by whom he had the following children:
Mary E., Anna W., Calista, Samuel Tracy, Henry H., Charles E., and
Samuel Tracy Loomis received a common and
select school training, and at an early age began teaching in the winter and
farming during the summer. At the
age of twenty-four he bought a farm in Coventry, and twenty-four years later
moved to the farm where he was living during the later years of his life, and
where he also kept a hotel. Mr.
Loomis was a Republican, and in 1865 was sent to the General Assembly from his
town. In 1869 he was appointed
postmaster in Coventry, a position he held until his removal to Andover in May,
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved