AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 925
GEORGE HENRY CALL, second son of Henry S. Call, was born Feb. 26, 1861, in Central Village, Conn. Until he was about fifteen years old he attended the schools of Danielson, and then entered his fatherís establishment to learn the harness business. On De. 27, 1888, George H. Call was married to Harriet E. Pike. In politics Mr. Call like all his family is identified with the Republican party. Fraternally he belongs to Aetna Lodge No. 21, A.O.U.W., and Nipmuck Camp, Modern Woodmen of America.
Ever since entering their fatherís shop, the Call brothers, as they are known in business circles, have been associated together with common interests. As boys they learned their trade side by side, and both showed unusual aptitude for it, so that their father felt that it would be in good hands when his declining health made it necessary for him to dispose of his business. The two brothers bought it in 1883 and since that time have carried it on, continually expanding. From a small shop in 1868 with a local trade, this business has developed into the largest and most complete establishment of harness making and horse furnishing in Windham county. Both proprietors being practical workmen their output is only such as meets the highest demands of the public. In 1885 carriages were added to their line of goods, and for a number of years they used as a repository the old armory, which the firm purchased in 1901. The Call Brothers are not only energetic and progressive business men, but they also are first-class, representative citizens.
***Also, see the Call Family biography
Reproduced by: Linda D. Pingel
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved