AS RECORDED IN:
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903 P. 939
CHARLES FREDERICK BURGESS was born at Middleboro, Mass., May 16, 1855, son of Frederick O. and Lizzie Foster Burgess.
F.O. Burgess, son of Elijah and Betsey L. (Wing) Burgess, of Middleboro, Mass., was a descendant in the eighth generation of Thomas and Dorothy Burgess. Thomas was one of four brothers who came from England and arrived in Salem, Mass., about 1630, and afterward settled in Sandwich, in the Plymouth Colony. Betsey L. Wing, mother of F.O. Burgess, was a direct descendant of John Howland, who came over in the “Mayflower.” Lizzie Foster Burgess, mother of Charles F., was a native of Brewster, Mass., but most of her life was spent at Middleboro, and her last ten years were passed at Marlboro, whither she went from Plainfield, Conn., where for some two years her husband was associated with his son in the conduct of the Journal. She passed away March 19, 1896. She was a member of the Central Congregational Church at Middleboro, thence transferring her membership to the Union Congregational Church at Marlboro. Many high tributes were paid to her high character and sunny disposition. Mrs. Burgess was a daughter of William W. and Hannah (Foster) Goss, of Brewster, afterward of Middleboro, Mass. William W., son of Daniel, and grandson of Peter Goss, of Revolutionary fame, was a native of Weston, Vt., and an old-time school teacher on the Cape, having taught there for thirty-six consecutive winters. He was once keeper of Highland light. In 1826 he married Hannah Foster, daughter of Sears and Betsey (Myrick) Foster, who was born Feb. 19, 1809, in Brewster, Mass., and was a descendant in the ninth generation of Elder William Brewster, and of the seventh generation in direct line from Thomas Foster, who came to New England in 1634. Mrs. Goss died at Dorchester, Oct. 7, 1902, at the age of ninety-three. Mr. And Mrs. Goss were for many years members of the Methodist Church at Middleboro. At the time of her death she is believed to have been the oldest member of the Union Congregational Church at Marlboro.
The following children were born to Mr. And Mrs. Goss: William F.M., of Santa Barbara, Cal.; Hannah J., wife of Capt. Joshua Atkins, of Chatham, both deceased; Lizzie Foster, who died in 1896, wife of F.O. Burgess, formerly of the Plainfield Journal, now of the Marlboro Enterprise; Franklin B., editor of the Barnstable Patriot; Walter S., Marlboro, for a time publisher of the American Workman, Boston; Warren Lee, formerly of Norwich, Conn., now of Rutherford, N.J., author of the Century War Series, Recollections of a Private, and other books connected with the Civil war; Mary, wife of W.B. Campbell, of Duxbury; Ellen, widow of S.B. Pratt, a well-known newspaper publisher; Annette L., wife of R.D. Pratt, formerly of the newspaper firm of Pratt Brothers; S. Foster, of Marlboro, deceased; Arabella F., deceased; Lillie A., local writer of some note, deceased wife of C. Morgan, of Syracuse, N.Y.; Abbie E., widow of D.S. Hasty, of the Stoughton Sentinal, now of Dorchester. Mrs. Goss left twenty-six grandchildren, and twenty-five great-grandchildren.
Charles F. Burgess has one sister, Alice C., now Mrs. Samuel Graves, of Norwalk, Connecticut.
Charles F. Burgess was educated in the common schools and at Pierce Academy, Middleboro. He learned the printer’s trade in the office of the Middleboro Gazette, and afterward was in the newspaper establishment of Pratt Brothers, Marlboro, for some four years. He came to Plainfield in the summer of 1880 and started a printing office in a small way in the Kingsley building. The Railway Journal was first issued as an advertising sheet. The first number of the Plainfield Journal appeared Sept. 3, 1881, then a six- column folio, printed on an old hand press. In the spring of 1882, the first number of the Jewett City Press was issued, which still continues to be published, with an edition at Baltic also. In 1892 the office was removed to Moosup, where it occupies pleasant and convenient quarters in the Masonic building. Moosup and Plainfield editions of the Journal are published now in seven-column quartos, and the paper has a large circulation through eastern Connecticut. Mr. Burgess published a few years ago the Plainfield Souvenir, a work setting forth in most attractive form the prominent features of the town.
Mr. Burgess united with the Congregational Church at Middleboro early in life, but now is a member of the M.E. Church, of Moosup, where he serves as Sunday-school superintendent and recording steward, and is an active worker generally. He married, Oct. 18, 1886, Ella M., daughter of Lewis C. and Lydia J. (Higgins) Holden, of Marlboro, Mass. Her father descended from the family of that name who settled the town of Holden, Mass., and for whom the town was named. Her mother was a direct descendant of the Higgins who came over in the “Anne,” first starting in the “Speedwell.” The family was also one distinguished in the Revolution.
The children of Charles F. and Ella M. Burgess are: Foster Lewis, born Feb. 21, 1895; Rachel Eleanor, born Dec. 23, 1896, who died July 17, 1897; Harold Frederick, born Aug. 16, 1898. The family occupy a handsome home built in the fall of 1902 on Highland street.
Reproduced by: Linda D. Pingel
Return to Main Page
This page was created by Linda Pingel on
April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved