JUDE RANDOLPH BUCK

BIOGRAPHY

AS RECORDED IN:

COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF 
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM COUNTIES CONNECTICUT.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PROMINENT AND REPRESENTATIVE  CITIZENS AND OF MANY OF THE EARLY SETTLED FAMILIES
PUBLISHER: J.H.BEERS & CO., CHICAGO; 1903          P.  531

JUDE RANDOLPH BUCK. One of the well-known and highly regarded citizens of Stafford, Tolland Co., Conn., is Jude Randolph Buck, who was born in Somers, Conn., March 18, 1832.

Probably no contemporaries of John Buck, the grandfather of Jude Randolph Buck, yet remain, but at one time in his native Stafford he was a man well known and regarded with esteem. By trade John Buck was a cooper, and carried on also some farming operations. He married Betsey Kent, and reared a family to respectability and usefulness. These children bore the names of: Sarah, Norman, John, Jairus, Sylvester, Ann and Lucy.

Norman Buck, the father of Jude Randolph Buck, was born in Somers, Conn., June 5, 1798, and died Aug. 2, 1860, in Somers. He was married to Mary Pomeroy, who was born Aug. 21, 1796, in Somers, Conn., and died there April 10, 1845. She was a daughter of Jude Pomeroy. By occupation Mr. Buck was a farmer and as he kept his vigor and strength until late in life he accomplished some very good results. In his earlier years he took much interest in the Whig party, but upon the formation of the Republican party embraced its principles. A number of minor offices were very efficiently filled by him, and he was a man whom all could trust, active in religious affairs, and a leading member of the Congregational Church in Somers.

The family born to Norman Buck and wife consisted of six children: (1) Norman Alonzo, who was born Sept. 5, 1824, in Somers, died in West Stafford, Conn., May 23, 1866. His profession was that of bookkeeper; he was with the Broad Brook Manufacturing Company, removing later to Glastonbury, where he filled the same position with the Narbuc Fire Arms Co. On Sept. 7, 1851, he married Elizabeth Emily Norris, of Brools Brook. (2) Mary Ann, who was born March 21, 1827, married John Hiram Tyler, of Somerville, where he carried on the business of carriage-making until his death. Her residence is now in Springfield. (3) Louisa Mandana, who was born Sept. 9, 1829, married Nov. 3, 1850, Charles Bowers, a factory employee, a spinner, of Somers. She died at Broad Brook, while he lives in Long Meadow, Mass. (4) Jude R., of this sketch. (5) Harriet Elizabeth, who was born Sept. 7, 1834, married Feb. 2, 1860, Henry Whiton, of West Stafford, where he was a machinist, later moving to Springfield, where he died. She died in Pasadena, Cal. (6) Henry Martin, who was born July 17, 1837, and died Nov. 7, 1855, in Somers.

Jude R. Buck, of this biography, enjoyed the advantages offered by the public schools until he was nineteen years of age; he then put aside his books and entered the employ of his brother-in-law, John H. Tyler, who conducted a carriage-making business in Somers. After learning the trade and becoming a skilled workman Mr. Buck remained in the business for some twelve years; he then engaged in the teaming business in the same place for one and one-half years. About this time Mr. Buck was offered a position in the stockinet mill in West Stafford. This he accepted and remained running stockinet machinery for probably three years. Leaving there he took a machinistís position in the machine shop of D.E. Whiton, at West Stafford, and there he remained for the succeeding ten years, working on chucks.

Mr. Buck next formed a partnership with Jabez Collins in Springfield, in the sale and livery business, and this was successfully conducted for one and one-half years, when Mr. Buck sold his interest to Eli Bangs. The firm of Smith & Bangs about this time needed a trusty and reliable clerk in their meat and grocery store and for six months Mr. Buck filled that position. He then came back to Stafford, where he purchased the Nathan Rockwell farm of seventy acres on Stafford street, conducting operations there for several years. Then he sold the farm and bought out the meat, grocery and general store owned by Jonathan Pasco, in Stafford Hollow, and there he did a very flourishing business for seven and one-half years. During the first term of President Cleveland Mr. Buck kept the postoffice in his store. The store and business were later disposed of to H.F. Cody.

Mr. Buck then returned to the farm, the confinement of a sedentary life causing his health to fail. He has become robust again, enjoys the labors attendant upon the raising of his large crops and keeps also about twelve head of cows, sending the product to the Somers creamery.

On March 18, 1857, Mr. Buck was married to Melissa Ann Kingsbury, who was born June 15, 1837, and was a daughter of Rufus and Celia (Smith) Kingsbury, of Stafford, although Mrs. Buck was born at South Hadley Falls. The children of this marriage are: Clarence Everett, born April 30, 1865, died in Stafford, Dec. 15, 1865; and Mabel Celia, born Dec. 20, 1872, who resides at home.

Politically Mr. Buck is a member of the Republican party, but has never been willing to accept political honor. Fraternally he is connected with Ionic Lodge, No. 110, of Stafford Springs, and also Orient Chapter, R.A.M. For a number of years Mr. Buck was one of the deacons of the Congregational Church, of which he has been a consistent member through a long period.

Reproduced by:  Linda D. Pingel

 

Return to Main Page

This page was created by Linda Pingel on April 7, 2008
copyright 2008 - all rights reserved